Sunday, July 25, 2010

London day four - sore feet

Well, we have walked our feet into blistered, swollen, dirty hobbit-like meat trays that decided today they didn't want to go very far. We had to pick up our tickets for our bus for tomorrow's trip to Stratford Upon Avon but apart from that it was a laid back day. We took in Hyde Park, where some sort of triathlon was running with some major athletes from around the world - apparently. That's what the announcer was saying anyway.
Turned out to be a beautiful day after a cold and overcast start. Got a touch red on the shoulders.
OK so today we saw the changing of the guard - turns out what we thought was it the other day was just a pissy little changeover - probably going for smoko.
Anyhow, saw the real deal today and Sam got in on film. Good luck more than planning, we rocked up to the palace after a walk through James Park and there were thousands of people lining the street that was closed to traffic and wouldn't you know it, a fancy band and some dudes in furry hats.
Oh and I saw squirrels!! Lots of them. The first one we saw just as we headed into the park and I was not expecting it at all and it came right up to me and for a moment I thought it was going to run up my leg. After it scurried away and I cursed myself for not getting my camera out fast enough to snap more shots, we walked along only to discover plenty more of the "pests" as Sam calls them. They are soooo cute! Kate I hope you're reading this, cos trust me you want one.
Was able to get plenty more shots and Sam even took some footage at my insistence though he wasn't nearly as impressed with them as me.
We had lunch in a proper English pub complete with warm beer, fish and chips and 28 peas. Yes, Sam counted his peas. Thought they were a bit light on. Perhaps Britain is in the midst of a pea shortage - there's some front page news for you.
And then, like I said we wandered through Hyde Park and then Kensington Gardens where someone must have stopped paying the gardener because compared to Hyde Park, separated only by a roadway, they are different worlds of maintenance.
Onto a bus for a quick trip back to South Bank where Sam wanted to check out the London Eye. The queue was enormous and while we probably could have got on - eventually - we decided not to try. We did however, get an ice cream and sit on the grass and people watch for about an hour. Plenty of street entertainers around and of course thousands of tourists to watch.
We took a stab at buying souvenirs but I honestly couldn't bring myself to buy a cheesy fridge magnet. Later this evening, however, I did regret not buying the bottle opener with a red phone box on top because Sam bought some beer and we didn't have a bottle opener. he had to use a garlic crusher thing to pop the top and bottle number two ended in a cut finger for Sam. In this place, he'll be lucky if he doesn't get an infection.
Was another cold shower this morning. I tried for one last night, in two different bathrooms but not only could I not get hot water, I couldn't get any. Sam has somehow always managed to score both water and heat, but alas pressure enough to rinse the conditioner out of our hair still eludes us.
Have actually been sleeping quite well, most likely due to exhaustion. Pop in the ear plugs provided for free by reception, pop on the eye mask and I'm gone. I wake when the others in our room come in at odd hours in the morning but once I see who they are, and that they are not Jack the Ripper copycats, I fall back asleep fairly easily.
Sam has still be getting up super early - perhaps to avoid the rush for ice cold water in the showers.
Sent away from more requests for couches in Amsterdam but don't really expect to hear back. Looks like we will be hostel-ing it again.
Have a host in Brussels from Tuesday and then we are staying with Hugues sister in Dusseldorf. Not really sure what's happening after that.
It's about 10.30pm here and the sun has not long gone down. The music is blaring from the bar downstairs and my feet are vibrating on the floating floorboards in the common area. We are all "watching" James Bond: Quantum Solace and drinking beer. Well Sam is, I'm on Zero. Still getting dizzy when I stand up - must have an inner ear infection because the earth is always moving under me at the moment.
- Alysia 10.34pm local time

2 comments:

  1. Knew that you'd see squirrels but did you see a man with the plastic, shopping bag feeding them? I loved them too. I missed them in denmark but the park in London has stacks as you saw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I could use a bottle opener shaped like a phone box. I'll pay you back in Paris.

    xoxoKirstie

    ReplyDelete